Images of Canada
Home  |  IMMIGRATION SERVICES   |  Contact Us
Don't let this happen to you Canada
immigration services

Provincial Nominees

Almost all of Canada's provinces and territories can nominate people to immigrate to Canada. These people have the skills, education and work experience they need to contribute to the economy of that province or territory.

To apply under the Provincial Nominee Program, you must:

  • be nominated by a specific Canadian province or territory, then
  • apply to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) to become a permanent resident of Canada.

Each participating province and territory has its own nomination guidelines. They can change without notice. You should check their websites for the most up-to-date information.


Most provinces and territories in Canada have an agreement with the Government of Canada that lets them nominate immigrants who want to settle there.

In many cases, you must apply directly to a province or territory to be considered under its Provincial Nominee Program (PNP).

Find out more about Express Entry for skilled immigrants, including those nominated under certain streams of the PNP.

Language testing

You need to take a language test if you apply as a provincial nominee:

  • for a semi- or low-skilled job (NOC C or D), or
  • under Express Entry for a:
    • Managerial job (NOC skill level 0),
    • Professional job (NOC skill type A), or
    • Technical job and skilled trade (NOC skill type B).

This test will show if your ability to listen, speak, read and write in English or French meets a minimum standard. Check the websites below to learn about the standard for your chosen province or territory. Test results are usually valid for two years from the day you take the test.

You must apply in two stages.

  1. First, you must apply to the province or territory where you want to live. It will review your application based on two things:
    • its immigration needs and
    • if you really plan to live there.

    The criteria vary and can change without notice. You should visit one of the websites below for the most current information.

    Websites of provinces and territories

  2. After a province or territory nominates you, you must apply to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) for permanent residence. A CIC officer will assess your application based on Canadian rules.

    As part of the process, you will have to pass a medical exam and get a police check (certificate). All immigrants must have these checks, no matter where they plan to live in Canada.

Peter Carpenter
is a member of ICCRC

did you know
  • New Legislation was introduced by the Federal Government of Canada. Our site reflects these new changes. This new legislation has changed many of the regulations and qualifications for immigrating to Canada.

  • We hope our web site provides you with the information you need to decide to immigrate to our wonderful, mulitcultural country.

  • If you are ready, then so is Carpenter and Carleton to make your move as easy as possible.